Saturday, September 3, 2011

Amtrak Train Trip Cheaper Than Driving

 

0190-50072

 

Kansas City-St. Louis

248 miles; $51.75 driving; $28 on Amtrak

The state of Missouri is a big Amtrak booster, heavily supporting the two trains a day that cross the state's midsection. That has paid off; according to the Missouri Department of Transportation, ridership has been steadily growing.

There's one downside, though: the Missouri River Runner line takes more than 5½ hours to run down the I-70 corridor, more than an hour longer than the average driving time. As with the New York-Montreal run, Amtrak doesn't own these tracks, and freight trains often take precedence. If the Missouri River Runner actually chugged along at the 79 miles per hour that Amtrak trains are capable of, it would cross the state in under 3½ hours.

Read more: http://www.frommers.com/slideshow/index.cfm?group=651&p=9#ixzz1WuUMs878

In Fall 1992, I lived in Kansas City Downtown, Missouri while I was a Solo Traveler.  I bought a Round Trip Ticket for St. Louis Weekend.   My Group and I rode in our Amtrak Train between Kansas City and St. Louis, Missouri.   I enjoyed visiting and sighting some interest of places include the Arch, Old Union Station and Downtown in St. Louis.

Inside the Amtrak Train,  I sat relaxing and saw the window across the rural during daytime depart Kansas City and evening time depart St. Louis.  Passengers and I walked to the Food Café and carried our small box including beverage and meal back to our seats or sit in some tables after paid to Clerk on the counter.

In Fall 1976,  Kansas State School for the Deaf, Emery Hall Elementary School, some classmates and I rode in our first way Amtrak Train from Kansas City to La Plata Station, Missouri during daytime.  We enjoyed eating our lunch bags and played in the park and rode in our one way school bus to Kansas State School for the Deaf, Olathe, Kansas from La Plata, Missouri.  What a long trip!  I never forget about my Childhood and School Trip well.

Last February 2010,  I videotaped over the rural from Newton, Kansas (my hometown, Wichita, KS, 30 miles) to Kansas City, Missouri.  I enjoyed watching my favorite traditional sunrise time. 

Coming to Kansas City Union Station, I finally videotaped there before end time.

Closing time, I saw my favorite Union Station since my Childhood time before the years changed around there.

No comments:

Post a Comment